Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Amber Waves of.....Yarn?

It's nearly Independence Day, so "America the Beautiful" seems somewhat appropriate. During the lead-up to The Fourth of July, our patriotic holiday, I will be moving across country, from New England to California, observing the aforementioned beauty first-hand.

I know what you're thinking. It's about time that she posted about something made of yarn! So, by popular demand, here is a crocheted ripple afghan (which look to me like ocean waves). This is a "scrapghan" in the true sense of the word. My mother started it using leftover yarns, all cheap acrylic, of course. For afghans, acrylic actually works pretty well. You can machine wash and dry and abuse the heck out of it and it still looks pristine.

The colors are limited to tans, oranges, yellow, and blues, giving it a fall-like appearance. There are three large blocks of solid cream as well, so it doesn't look overly busy. This thing is monstrously huge. I guess I wanted to make sure that on cold midwestern evenings I could fit me, my husband, our kids, and any friends who are visiting under my lovely afghan. These are important considerations in places where the actual outside temperature can get down to 40 below. No, I'm not kidding. Yes, I am happy to be moving to southern California. But what will I do with my extensive wardrobe of bulky wool sweaters, heavy wool socks, glove liners, and silk long underwear?

1 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Go into the mountains with me, of course! And there's always Christmas in Wisconsin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home