Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Villain's Mistake

Lines from the movie The Incredibles (2004):

Lucius:[Bob and Lucius are sitting in a parked car, reminiscing] So now I'm in deep trouble. I mean, one more jolt of this death ray and I'm an epitaph. Somehow I manage to find cover and what does Baron von Ruthless do?

Bob: [laughing] He starts monologuing.

Lucius: He starts monologuing! He starts like, this prepared speech about how *feeble* I am compared to him, how *inevitable* my defeat is, how *the world* *will soon* *be his*, yadda yadda yadda.

Whenever the bad guy is about to kill the hero in a movie, the one mistake he or she always makes is to start monologuing. Why is that? I think this habit taps into our deepest need to tell others that we've succeeded. Just killing the hero would be a bummer. How would the villain revel in the glory, if she just defeated the guy and moved on with her day as if it were all just part of a normal day. You know, killed the hero, made a sandwich for lunch, went to the bank, stopped at Target for laundry detergent. That wouldn't make a good story at all.

Sometimes I feel that what's missing in our lives is the option to monologue at important moments. When I defended my dissertation successfully I was ecstatic. However, I would have been even happier if I'd had the chance to monologue a little, and yammer on about how *inevitable* my success was, how *the academic world* will soon *be mine*, yadda, yadda, yadda. Or at the very least, I would have liked a musical number. I would have chosen "I Will Survive" and worn sequins (naturally).

Here is what I worked on today:

This pile of fabric will soon be fabulous drapes for our living room (believe it or not). Stay tuned to see how they turn out. And, very likely, there will be some monologuing.

4 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger JayJay said...

Just wanted to let everyone know that the previous comment was deleted because the commentor put it in the wrong spot (he meant to comment on the previous post), so it didn't make sense. Although I am all for nonsense, he apparently was not. ;)

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Ooh, yeah - good times. We should have a curtain-bonding fest. We should shop for antiques together soon - in San Diego perhaps? What are you doing next Sunday (Aug 6th?) - now I have a whole apt to invite you to. (Is it lame to issue an invitation in Blogger comments? I'm at work, and I can't email from here. Let's chat later.)

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found you!!! Hey, it's Amanda (the one with the spanking new needle case) from the All Things String group last night. It was really great to meet you and I like your blog so far. I'll be visiting often.

LOVE the use of quotes from The Incredibles - that movie was THE BEST. It reminded me that I've got to see if I can finally get the cellular ring tone which features Mr. Incredible saying "Phoooone!" It's priceless :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home