Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Finding "The One"

This post is going to be dedicated to my wonderful husband, because he will be reunited with me this Friday. For those of you keeping track, this is over a week earlier than originally planned. He finished his project at work, and with nothing to really keep him in New England, he is finally joining me in So Cal. Not a moment too soon. To quote "When Harry Met Sally" (1989)- "when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." I really want to get on with the rest of my life.

When you're single (and I was single a very long time, just ask my mother), people give you all kinds of really useful advice, like "you'll meet him when you least expect it." So I'm supposed to just lower my expectations and the perfect man will appear? I discovered the real key to finding "the one" was to search for the one person in world who thought that all of my worst traits (as reported in several polls of ex-boyfriends and rejected love interests) were actually charming, endearing personality traits. For example:

Fault: I talk too much
Husband's take: I know how to carry a conversation

Fault: I'm bossy
Husband's take: I'm independent and strong

Fault: I become obsessed easily (e.g. buying 20 skeins of yarn just after learning to purl)
Husband's take: I'm not afraid to commit to things I'm interested in

So, my advice to all those looking for the love of their life, find the person who tastes your awful cooking and says, "Wow, you're so creative! I would never have thought to combine chocolate chips and pork!" That one's definitely a keeper.

3 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Three cheers for JayJay's husband, who really is this well suited for her in real life. So glad you'll be reunited soon. When you both decide to come out into civilization, let me know and we'll get together.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Three cheers for JayJay's husband, who really is this well suited for her in real life. So glad you'll be reunited soon. When you both decide to come out into civilization, let me know and we'll get together.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Heather said...

True...to my husband "bossy" is the equivalent to intelligence. There's nothing like having a man who is good for our egos! Tell your husband I said hi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home