Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Plays Well with Others

Always one happy to play with others, I will follow suit and take part in Grumperina's Meme: 10 Knitterly Things You Don't Know About Me:

1. I'm actually very new to knitting. Officially, I've only completed one sweater and a couple baby hats. For some reason, people assume I've been knitting for awhile. Perhaps they're not accustomed to such a level of obsession in someone so new to the craft? Those who know me well are perfectly aware that my obsessiveness cannot be denied. It's best to give it a creative outlet and hope for the best.

2. I *should* be an expert knitter, not a beginner. My mother tried to teach me numerous times, and I just never caught on. I have crocheted for many years and made several afgans and a few doilies (just to see if I could). My mother knits continental style. Maybe I'm just not coordinated enough to knit continental?

3. I learned to knit in a community education class. I have to be honest and admit that I am an old dog and knitting was a new trick. I found it much too frustrating to learn on my own. Being in a class with a bunch of other people struggling to learn made me feel better.

4. Perhaps this might seem obvious based on the items above, but I've never done a cable. Not avoiding them, just haven't gotten around to it. I am looking for a good beginner cable project, if you have any suggestions?

5. On a related note, I was one of the first to join The Amazing Lace, even though I didn't know how to do a yarn over. What can I say, I was confident I could figure it out!

6. I'm not sure if I'll ever knit socks. I have nothing personal against them, it's just that since I moved to California socks have lost all appeal to me. Not just knitted ones, all socks. I've worn socks exactly three times since the move: The three times I've gone to gym (really have to get on that by the way). My feet yearn to be free (of socks, that is).

7. I have an embarrassingly large stash of cheap acrylic yarn that I can't seem to part with. It's been alternately moved and stored at least half a dozen times. I'm too damn cheap to just give it away. It's fairly soft (not the old, scratchy kind) so maybe crocheted baby blankets would be a good option?

8. I am probably the only knitter who has made a sweater but not a scarf. Sweaters are more exciting.

9. I am often torn between knitting and all my other crafty hobbies. I should probably just pick one and stick with it, with the hope that I will become a real expert at that one thing. Unfortunately, it feels like choosing among my children.

10. I love all of Wendy's patterns, but haven't tried one yet. They are cute and perfect for southern California! However, I feel like I *should* use a pattern from one of the zillions of books and knitting mags I've already bought. I'm sure I will crack soon and buy one anyway (the OCD made me do it).

I hope that was mildy illuminating. I wish my knitting life was a bit more exciting, but other parts of my life have been significantly more adventurous so I guess it evens out.

I have been giving the Schachenmayr sweater some thought, and I think I will return to an old project for now, the Vogue Winter 05 v-necked vest. That is definitely a fall project and it's nearly done. Once I get that and the Knit.1 tank finished, I think I'll feel better about tackling the lace and gauge issues.

1 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

You are so on your way to expert! And I've been seeing a lot of vests out there recently. I think good thoughts about vests these days, even in SoCal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home