Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Dyed in the Wool

I had to explain what the saying "dyed-in-the-wool" meant to my husband the other day. I was referring to someone as a dyed-in-the-wool democrat and he'd never heard that phrase before. He grew up in a very warm climate, where apparently wool references are less common. According to Answers.com there are two definitions:

1. Thoroughgoing; out-and-out: a dyed-in-the-wool populist.
2. Dyed before being woven into cloth.

This weekend, I actually had a chance to demonstrate the second definition firsthand. I had my first foray into the world of dying my own yarn. Here are the results:The beautiful stuff on right was dyed by Anne of Crafty Diversions. It's mohair dyed beautiful shades of blue and purple. I used Brown Sheep worsted, which I was told would work really well. I believe this was an accurate assessment, as it took the dye nicely and was pretty easy to work with. It came out a very ocean-inspired green and blue. Now the questions is, what to do with 380 yards of hand-dyed wool and 480 yards of hand-dyed mohair. Perhaps a felted bag with the wool and SnB's "Ultra Femme" with the mohair. More importantly, does this make me a dyed-in-the-wool knitter?

4 Comments:

At 5:41 AM, Blogger Prof. Knitwit said...

That's your first experience dying yarn??!!! I'm so impressed! It looks amazing!! You were smart to choose brown sheep worsted - it's so versatile. A felted bag would certainly look great - also, there are these great felted bowls in that book "One Skein" that uses brown sheep worsted that might look lovely in that color.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

It makes you a crafting dilettante, but you knew that already!

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger JayJay said...

Thanks for the compliments! I'll have to look at that bowl pattern.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Anne said...

I should also mention that this dyeing newbie did a fantasic job on some of my other yarns that she experiemented on for me! As far as project options...you could make a lovely hat and scarf set (skinny one) with the Lamb's Pride. For the mohair, you can make a lacy shawl for yourself!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home