Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A Risque Hobby?

Sometimes I'm surprised at how the general public views knitting. Recently I went to a dinner with my colleagues and during the course of the conversation, I started a sentence with "last week at my knitting group.." I never got to finish my statement, because my colleagues stopped me with surprised exclamations. Apparently, they were unaware of my crafting obsession hobby and were rather surprised that I knit. After explaining that it is now very hip to knit, one of my colleagues leans over and whispers in my ear, "I've been taking pole dancing class." Evidently, this a new exercise craze that's spicing up life for married folks. All very well and good, but I was unclear how it related to my knitting hobby? Should I be happy that she considers knitting as sexy as pole dancing? Perhaps the sight of me with those long pointy sticks is inadvertantly driving men wild? Or, was she insinuating that we were both doing something risque and secret? Just to prove a point I brought my knitting to the next faculty meeting. Let's see them try that with pole dancing!

I finished a potholder which I think turned out pretty badass (for a potholder anyway). These are so fun and easy to make, and the best part is that they actually work! I like them so much better than purchased ones.

And finally, a gratuitous scenery photo. The hubby and I went to San Diego for a short trip last week and wandered around Balboa Park. These are some of the lovely cacti and succelents you can see there.

4 Comments:

At 4:50 AM, Blogger Prof. Knitwit said...

That is too funny about the pole dancing!! I must say that you are quite brave to knit during faculty meetings...I've often wanted to, but I think the other faculty would be offended or something.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Jennifer Lori said...

Well clearly knitting is just as risque as pole dancing! There are just some minor differences...with knitting the sticks aren't floor-to-ceiling hight, but you do hold on to them just as tightly to make sure you don't get hurt! (Not speaking from personal experience, except for the knitting)

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

I love that story!

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Anne said...

what about knitting while pole dancing. i'd like to see someone master hanging upside-down on the pole while knitting! hah! that's talent!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home