Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Monday, January 22, 2007

My First Swap

So, I joined the Potholder/Recipe Swap on Swap Bot way back in December, thinking that this would be a great first swap. I figured I would have the whole semester break to work on the potholders and put together a stellar package, sure to impress my swap partner. Yep, that was the plan.

Unfortunately, I didn't take into account that I would get sick (twice), and that I would be working on Christmas gifts which I barely finished in time (OK, some were a little late). However, I was able to get everything done just in time to mail it by the January 15th deadline, albeit somewhat less stellar than I intended. Some of you may remember that January 15th was Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Which, of course meant that the post office was closed. Doh! I mailed it right away the next morning, one day late. I feel like a bad prom date. You know, the one that waits too long and can't get reservations at the only "good" restaurant in town and ends up taking his date to McDonald's. He remembers to order a corsage, but gets a pin-on one and she's wearing a strapless dress. You get the picture. Anyway, here is what I sent:



Yarn: Sugar 'n Cream in "key lime pie" and "ecru"
Pattern: one pattern from 1994 "Country Handcrafts", and Maryanne's Potholder
Changes: I left out the embroidery on the Handcrafts potholder and I did a plain single crochet border on the outer part of Maryanne's Potholder (it looked too busy with the picot edge on the outside too).
Yardage: One skein of the key lime pie (95 yards) and part of a skein of the ecru (120 yards)
Hook: US size G


The recipes were for an old family recipe for a German raisin/coffee/spice bread (us Germans love our coffee!), for some gooey chocolate/peanut butter/marshmallow bars, and finally an eggplant moussaka, changed a bit from a recipe in a vegetarian cookbook (it's still vegetarian, I just added some spice and raisins). I also included some chocolate to nibble on. I sure hope my swap partner has a sweet tooth!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger Prof. Knitwit said...

You're too hard on yourself! It looks like you put together a great package for your pal! The potholders are adorable and those recipes sound delish! Not to mention that chocolate is always a hit!

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the border on Maryanne's potholder - you will have to show me how to do it. I think they both turned out great!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger JayJay said...

Thanks for the compliments! That makes me feel better about my first swap. :)

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lori said...

I also think they turned out great! Your swap partner will be thrilled to get them...besides, doesn't everyone (besides me) love chocolate? :)

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Gretchen said...

Ok--second try--blogger just ate my comment.

Please forgive me for taking so long to properly thank you. I *love* the potholders! I've never done a double thickness thing like that before (way cool!) and the pretty green has me longing for spring.

The recipes sound yummy and my oldest son (vegetarian) can't wait for me to make the moussaka.

And chocolate? Always the right size! (-:

Thank you so much for a wonderful swap package!

Oh, and I'm a worse prom date--I didn't get mine in the mail until Thursday.

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your swap pal was no doubt thrilled with your package. I think I better prom date comparison would be to the guy who shows up ten minutes late but when he does get there, pulls up in a swanky car and whisks his date off in style.

Or maybe prom dates and potholders aren't actually all that comparable. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home