Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Manly Sweater

"Love doesn't make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile."-Franklin P. Jones



I've been reading along as Rachel detailed the saga of her sweater for Matt. Her sweater not only looks great, but is a beautiful tribute to her husband. This lovely story reminded me of my own desire to try to knit something for my husband. It's not that I've never broached the subject before. Our conversations go something like this:

"Honey, I really should knit you something."

"Sure, sweetie, whatever you want."

"What would you like? Socks, a vest, a sweater?"

"Well, if you really want to knit something, I guess a sweater would be OK."

This is far from the positive response you might want if you intend to spend, oh, I don't know, hundreds of hours on something. If he really wanted a sweater he should have said, "I would love nothing in the world more than a sweater you had knit for me with your own two hands," or "I would cherish a handknit sweater from you more than anything else in world." (Nevermind that men only talk like that in romance novels, you get the picture. I want undying gratitude here people!) Without much encouragement, I went about my business knitting for myself and other family and friends who seemed in more need of knitwear.

Lately, however, I think he's starting to feel like he should have a handmade sweater. Like I've somehow given him a crafting snub. All the other husbands of knitters have handknit items, why doesn't he? I guess this means he really would like a sweater, but just didn't know that he was supposed to say something really mushy to get it. So, for the sake of making the love of my life happy, and in honor of Valentine's Day, I am in search of a nice, not-too-flashy men's sweater pattern. Any suggestions?

5 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you find one, let me know - maybe we can do a knit-along! Brian doesn't have anything handknit from me either - due to the same reasons!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Prof. Knitwit said...

How exciting! I can't wait to see what you decide to knit for your husband! My first sweater was actually a sweater for my husband - The Manly Sweater from Stitch n Bitch. That worked pretty well...but there are lots of other possibilities. If he wants something simple (which I think many men do), you could make something from the Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns. Also, Interweave Knits has had a few good man sweaters in the last few issues. There's another good zippered men's sweater in Last Minuted Knitted Gifts that looks like a good possibility too. Oh the choices!!!

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Oh boy, that's a big challenge! Let me know what you find. I may need to make something one of these days . . .

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This seems to be a common thing for a lot of us... my hubby says almost the same thing yours does LOL.

I have admired the Cambridge Jacket from Summer 2006 Interweave and hubby even said "Yeah that's not bad, I would wear that". You can see the photo online at: http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/preview/2006_summer.asp

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Anne said...

My hubby never wants anything, despite offering to make him something several times. So far, I've made him a small iPod bag and a pair of socks.

There are 2 mens sweater patterns that I like, both are on knitty. THe Leo and Avast.
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTleo.html
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTavast.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home