Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Thirty-Four Years and Counting

"Time and Tide wait for no man, but time always stands still for a woman of thirty." - Robert Frost

This past Monday celebrated my 34th year. Ever notice how we become more coy about describing and sharing news of our birthday as we get older? Children are always happy to remind you of their birthday. When I was kid I always wanted a surprise party. How cool to have all your friends secretly plan a big party in your honor! Growing up in a rural area, however, makes the surprise party a bit more difficult. Where do you hide everyone's cars in the middle of nowhere? What kind of excuse will get you to drive 30 minutes each way to town just so the party can be set up while you're away? How will the cows react to all that ruckus?

I finally got my wish for a surprise party after I moved to a larger city as an undergraduate. My friends fooled me really well, too. A couple days before my birthday I showed up at my friend's house unshowered, wearing sweats and my glasses to do laundry. As I walked in everyone jumped out and yelled "surprise" just like in the movies. It was at that moment that I realized why most people don't care much for surprise parties. All photographic evidence of that event has been discretely destroyed.

Generally, I don't see much point in making too much of a fuss over my birthday. I do sincerely enjoy the celebrating and the gifts (who doesn't?), but having moved 14 times in the last 11 years I am often in a new place where I don't know that many people or I'm too busy to really take the time to celebrate. I assumed that this year would be the same, but I was absolutely wrong. It seems that knitting really does bring people together. First, I'd like to thank Jennifer for the wonderful card! Even though we've never met it real life, I am always excited to check on your blog to see how you're doing. I was pleasantly surprised and touched that you took the time to send a card. I also want to thank my colleague and friend Jenn for a lovely lunch and the new knitting books. One can never have too many knitting books, right? And yes, you can borrow them. ;) Finally, I want to thank all my wonderful friends from All Things String, the local knitting group, for going out to dinner on Monday on such short notice. Anne, Rachel, Zona, and Aubrey, thank you for a wonderful end to a lovely day! And you'll be happy to know that this year I even showered!

I haven't had much of a chance to take photos, but here is a preview of some of my loot from a recent Yarn Swap. Yes, it's fun fur, but I want to make the "monster slippers" from SnB Nation so I am making an exception to my no fun fur policy.

5 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! I'm glad you had such a good day. The best birthdays are the ones in which you feel very celebrated in spite of making no effort to alert people to your birthday. It sounds as though you had that kind of day. Enjoy your fun fur slippers!

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Anne said...

I am so happy that you showered for us. :P It's such a relief to be around people with good personal hygiene. We missed you at knitting tonight, not much b/c we got kicked out by starbucks early. But mostly, you missed your belated present!

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Prof. Knitwit said...

Happy Birthday!!! I can't wait to see how those slippers turn out - it looks like they'll be so fun!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lori said...

1) I'm glad you liked the card. I had it narrowed down to 3 different cards and asked Yannick to pick which was funniest. Something about the mountain goat...

2) Thanks for reminding me about the Monster Slippers! I have the perfect yarn to make Cookie Monster and Elmo feet.

3) I'm so glad you showered! LOL

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Happy happy! How did I not know? I was going to blame your husband, but then I realized that he told me last year and it's my own fault for not looking in my palm pilot, where the info conveniently sits. Happy again! Because your birthday will be an excuse to plan our next get-together. Unfortunately, I'm still trying to survive the ICU for the next 2 weeks. But after that, I think J and I are overdue for a trip to Fullerton. I bet it's just lovely in April.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home