Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

She was Horrid

"There once was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good she was very, very good, but when she was bad she was horrid." - old nursery rhyme

My mom used to say this to me a lot when I was very young. I'd like to think it was because I had perfect ringlets, but honestly I think it was because I was sometimes a horrid child. I could be sweet and wonderful one minute, and then throw a massive temper tantrum the next. When I was around two or three I gave her the silent treatment for two whole weeks! She no longer remembers what I was upset about, but she was pretty shocked that I was angry for so long and so disciplined about it. Although I feel bad that I was such a handful, I wish that sometimes I could throw a fit like a two-year old and get away with it.

Last week was my spring break and it was supposed to a relaxing week to catch up on work and sleep. Instead, I had migraines all week, probably caused by an allergic reaction, and was pretty cranky the whole time. I do feel a lot better this week, but boy did I want to throw a hissy fit last week! I did get some knitting done and will have another FO soon, after some seaming and weaving of ends. Here is a small project I've started in the meantime:


It's the umbilical cord hat from the original Stitch 'n Bitch made with some baby yarn to match the embroidered fleece patchwork blanket I already made. This is an in-progress shot, but since this photo I embroidered on all the patches and added a mint green satin blanket binding.


It's a gift for some very good friends who just had a little boy. Do you think it's too girly? I'm not very hung up on gender stereotypes, but I don't want them to have to constantly tell people that he's a boy. I could always whip up another Seija blanket in blue.

8 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's real nice - I like to get away from the all blue, all pinks for boys and girls. I like it alot.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lori said...

I don't think it's too girly- I love the blue patches! (And I don't blame you for having migraines and wanting to hissy fit...migraines are enough to provoke a fit even without housing issues! Good luck with everything!)

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Looks great!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

I don't think the blanket is too girly. The color is gender neutral and the patterns are geometric. It will be a great gift!

My dad used to recite that nursery rhyme to me all the time when I was little. I had stick straight hair, so I must have been horrid.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Prof. Knitwit said...

I'm so sorry that you had such a bad week. It's just terrible feeling sick on a week off especially.

I don't think that it's too girly either by the way - isn't it blue? I think as long as it's blue - there's no problem in anyone thinking otherwise.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger jenfromRI said...

I think all baby stuff is a little bit girly, and I have two boys myself. Don't worry, it all looks cute!

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't see how it would be too girly by any stretch of the imagination. I think it's wonderful and adorable.

Besides, even if it were a little girly, people need their gender stereotypes challenged. It's good for them.

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the blanket looks great - I'm sure he will love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home