Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Friday, June 08, 2007

The Addiction

“Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.” - George Carlin (a very monkeysexual quote, don't you think?)

Anne from Crafty Diversions often says that yarn must have some inherent addictive properties. I largely agree, but must add that there seem to be numerous crafty items that contain addictive substances. For example, embroidery thread. That must surely be the reason I own two boxes of the stuff, plus an entire gallon bag of aida cloth (hey, cross stitch was very popular in the 80s and 90s, what can say?).

Also, fabric clearly is addictive. How else can you explain my three underbed boxes filled with it? What do all these things have in common: FIBER. I feel that fibers, regardless of whether they are plant, animal, or manmade, have inherently addictive properties, which unfortunately some of us are particularly sensitive to. For some people it's crack, for me it's alpaca. This would surely account for my recent weakness on a visit to Suzoo's. I planned to merely exchange one ball of yarn for another color and somehow came home with four balls of yarn, a set of addi turbos, and some dpns. It's not my fault, I was overcome by the fiber.
I bought two skeins of Bamboo Soft to go with some light tan Patons Decor leftover from my first sweater. I thought the gold and olive green along with the light tan would make a neat men's hat.

I then bought two skeins of Frog Tree alpaca to go with this hand dyed mohair from Anne (aka Sugar Apple Creations). I love the blues and purples in the mohair, and the purplish blue of the Frog Tree should set it off nicely. I plan to knit them together to make a lacy, but not too delicate scarf.

So, does anyone know of a 12 step program for crafting?

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Beautiful yarns! I have some Frog Tree Alpaca. It's so soft, I couldn't put it down.

I'd be no help on the fiber addiction front. I can barely keep myself under control sort-of.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger cranberry said...

If you find out the 12 step program, tell me. I think it's the fact that for me, with yarn you can hold a colour and a feeling.

*dreamy sigh*

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The answer is clearly more crafting! Yay - this weekend!

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger jenfromRI said...

Come on - do you really want a 12 step program for crafting? Wouldn't it mean you'd (gasp!) stop crafting??

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Who needs a 12 step crafting program? I say instead, we create a 12-steps to crafting program for the non-crafters. :)

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lori said...

2 boxes of floss? That's nothing- try 4!!! 4 (5?) years ago I got completely hooked on x-stitch and decided I NEEDED to own every color Anchor made. I filled a pretty small box with one of each and stood there at the cash while the cashier scanned each one-at-a-time- all 450+ colors! Ever try working with wastecloth? I doubt you need Aida or floss, but I subscribed to StoneyCreek mag so if you're ever looking for a pattern, let me know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home