Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Sunday, July 01, 2007

My Congested Hat

I have a severe dust allergy. Oh sure, you say, we all sneeze when we encounter a little dust. This allergy goes way beyond that. An allergist once told me that on a scale of one to four, four being the worst, I was a five-plus (this is after he put the offending allergen under my skin, resulting in a rash which nearly sent me to the emergency room). At the time I decided that I really needed to take care of myself and acknowledge my limitations and give up any hobbies that were bad for my allergies. I decided that quilting would be my main hobby and I would give up everything else in the interest of good health. However, I discovered that taking a quilt in your purse to work on while you wait at the dentist is a little impractical. I've now decided to compromise and be careful about storing yarn in sealed bags inside plastic containers. Unfortunately, I am still trying to use up some fairly old yarn and it causing me to get congested every time I knit with it. I present to you my congestion-causing version of the beret, Le Slouch:Barring any significant allergic reactions, I hope to finish it quickly and move on to more healthy yarns. This week I also finished the knitting on the spiderweb capelet. I need to block it, crochet the ties, and make pom-poms for the ends of the ties. For my first real lace project, I think it turned out pretty well. I would also like to thank Theresa for the lovely yarn she gifted me. She sent some beautiful lace weight that I plan to use to for Mystery Stole 3, and as "padding" she included some Bernat cotton in a sunny yellow. How sweet is that?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Glad you got it! Remember to let me know if you need more. And keep those allergies in check!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

The spiderweb capelet is really pretty! Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Be careful with your allergies!

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your caplet looks great. Let us see it completed. In the meantime, achoo! Sorry.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Anne said...

I'm imagining puns, needles, fabric and a giant sewing machine in your purse. HA!

Allergies, schmallergies! Drugs keep me sane from my 1000s of allergies, and help me swim in all kinds of yarn, including my cat-hair covered yarns. :/

Your capelet is looking rather lovely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home