Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Cow Tipping Debunked!

As someone who grew up on a dairy farm, I am often asked about the supposedly common rural practice of "cow tipping." For those of you who are unfamiliar, the idea is that because cows sleep standing up, if you sneak up on them at night a couple people can tip them over before they wake up. My friends, I am here to tell you that this is a complete lie! I lived in rural farm areas until my late 20's and never once have I tipped a cow nor I have ever known anyone who has tipped a cow. This is primarily because cows actually sleep lying down, not standing up. Also, according to what appear to be scientific calculations, it would take about 5 people to actually tip a cow over, if somehow you were able to sneak up on one and try.

Yes, you argue, but my friend Chris swears that he and some friends got really drunk one night while in college and actually went out cow tipping. Let me ask you, who ya gonna believe, an alcoholic frat boy or the girl that grew up around cows? Most likely, they went out to a field and harassed some cows, but none were actually tipped over. Since that would make for a lousy story, they "embellished" a little and thus the myth of cow tipping continues. Maybe they were so drunk that when Bubba tripped in the field they got confused and thought that he was actually a cow. Besides, don't you think someone would have posted video of real cow tipping on YouTube by now if this were actually possible?

Farm myths aside, here is an update on some knitting and crocheting. To build up my stash of baby gifts and use up bits and pieces of yarn, I've been working away on a couple of small projects. First yet another Seija blanket (blue item in the photo), but this one in a combination of Red Heart and Lion Brand Color Waves. Honestly, the Color Waves is pure evil, as I can barely make out my stitches in all its fuzziness. The color combo looks so pretty, however, that I'm going to force myself to finish it. I will post better photos once it's a little farther along. I am also working on a bib out of black and white scraps of sugar 'n cream. The pattern is from from Mason Dixon Knitting and it is quite fun to knit. I will likely add some black rick rack to the white part to make it more fun and hide the white from the inevitable food stains.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Blogger Prof. Knitwit said...

I can't believe that there's no such thing as cow tipping!! I'd love to know who managed to spread such a rumor??

By the way, the knitting and crocheting is coming along very nicely. I'm sure that the recipient will enjoy the gifts!

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger jenfromRI said...

That cow-tipping thing has been bugging you for a while, huh? :)

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger cranberry said...

Pretty blanket!

Heh, I'm giggling over cow tipping. I heard tell of this strange practice, but really?

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

I grew up in Wisconsin, but not on a dairy farm. I've always wondered about the people who talk about cow tipping. My great grandmother claimed that she could predict the weather by seeing if most of the cows in a field were standing (fair weather) or lying down (going to rain).

The bib is cute!

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

I love the rickrack idea - brilliant!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lori said...

I would tip a cow...but only if it served me in a timely manner and gave me a free refill or two on my coffee. ;)

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Hmm... I don't believe that there's no such thing as cow-tipping. We would often hear that recounted as a very common time of Texas A&M students, who had nothing better and more exciting to do, and other youths living in that area. Then there's the cow-plop bingo. Gross!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home