Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Selfish Knitter

First, I apologize for the long absence from the blog. I'm pretty sure this is a fluke and that I will be able to keep up with it better from now on. Several events conspired to keep me away from blogging and knitting this past couple weeks, including a conference presentation submission that was due and a husband with a bad back. On to actual blog and knitting content.

I admit it, I'm a selfish knitter. Even though I've made some gifts lately, when going through my stash (to add to Ravelry) I realized that nearly all my large yarn purchases are earmarked for knitting things for myself. Part of it is that I don't want to give away items that aren't wearable. So as a new knitter, I use myself as the guinea pig for practicing my craft. Also, I like the challenge of knitting sweaters, and let's face, fitting someone other than yourself is pretty difficult. Honestly, fitting oneself isn't all that easy, but at least I always have myself handy for a try-on session. Even though I am a selfish knitter, I figure that it's my hobby so I can knit for whomever I like. Other people's hobbies rarely result in benefits for anyone other than the individual, and that's OK. I don't expect my hubby's weekly tennis game to benefit me in any direct way (although I do use the time alone to craft. ;)

In order to buy more yarn for me, I recently went to a wonderful store in the area, Wildfiber and bought a couple skeins Cascade 220. The new owner, Natasha, was friendly helpful and even made us tea! I wish Santa Monica were a little closer so I could go more often. Below you can see my two new skeins of Cascade along with some pink TLC Cara Mia. I plan to use both to make the two-tone shrug from Fitted Knits (you can check out some examples here.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an interesting comment about how most other hobbies don't carry an expectation of benefit for people other than the hobbiest him or herself. As a selfish knitter myself, I'm rather delighted by this revelation!

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger jenfromRI said...

I agree with Rachel - who's going to drive the car my husband's working on? Not me! It must be said that the selfish knitter thing is tougher when you have kids. Although I think that's kind of another form of selfish knitting, because you get to dress your young 'uns up in cute knitted stuff.

I can't wait to see that shrug. I think those colors will look quite nice.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

The shrug will be pretty in those colors. Cascade 220 is such a nice yarn to knit with.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger cranberry said...

Talk to me. Would you recommend Stephanie Japel's Fitted Knits?

I'm havvering.

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Anne said...

You should be selfish in knitting sometimes. Even if muggles appreciate your hand knit gifts, many of them don't understand the actual time and effort into making them, so once in a while (ok, more thank that), we should be selfish and hoard good yarn for our own projects. (no self-comfort or justification here)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home