Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Monday, October 22, 2007

The Inferno

It seems like I just blink and it has been nearly two weeks since my last post! We've been really busy with birthday parties, meeting up with friends, and starting to pick things out for the baby. Also, the Santa Ana winds and resulting fires in the area have been very upsetting and distracting. I hardly slept last night with the trees banging against the window all night and today the air smells so strongly of smoke it has permeated eveything, including my windowless office. Let's hope the winds go away and we get some rain ASAP!

Back to knitting content, there were many questions regarding how exactly the pom-pom tree works, so below I have a demonstration. Before I made mine I looked it up online just to make sure I did it right, but I can't find the link anymore.

First, you wind the yarn around the two pegs, the way I've done below. After making a couple pathetic pompoms, I have determined that about 50 wraps is best.
Next, you cut the yarn and then tie a separate piece of yarn tightly around the middle. You then just slide the whole thing off both the pegs, cut both ends (top and bottom in the photo), and fluff. (No yarn was harmed in the creation of this demo.)

The cool thing is that you can easily adjust the size of the pompom by moving the pegs closer together or farther apart. The pompom tree has lots of holes, so you can choose from a variety of options such as the one below, which would make a ginormous pompom just for the record.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were totally right about my Halloween costume. Not a single person knew what I was, not even people who watch Firefly. A number of people didn't know i was in costume at all, as though I walk around everyday in a mechanic's jumpsuit with iron-on patches.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Glad you're enjoying the pom-poms!

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lori said...

I want to see a ginormous pom pom! :)

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!!! Bring it on Wednesday and I will bring some icky yarn to make one! I want a ginormous pom pom...it makes a fabulous cat toy!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Jennifer Lori said...

On a completely separate note, how close are you to the firestorms? Are you in any danger where you are? I hope you're not affected by it!

 
At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, I hope the winds have died down by now and are giving you all some relief. :(

So, the pompom tree really works? It seems so...so obvious! And so much easier than those multi-parted plastic rings and stuff. I am intrigued.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger jenfromRI said...

That thing is so cool. And like Rachel said, it's way better than the plastic rings - certainly much more decorative and conversation-starting.

Stay safe!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

What a clever tool! I'd go crazy making pompoms if I were you. Leave no bootie or baby hat un-pompommed!

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger cranberry said...

Cheers! I need to get one of those.

I want a handbag made out of pompoms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home