Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Remembering Him

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -Martin Luther King Jr.

When I was applying for money for college as a high school junior, a scholarship for a local group advertised a $250 scholarship. My family was quite poor and college tuition was going to be very difficult to pay without a lot of financial assistance. The essay for the scholarship was to be written about the person you admired most. I chose Martin Luther King, Jr. as my person, and wrote my essay. I had a couple teachers read over my essay and one quietly pulled me aside and said that for this particular organization, an essay on Martin Luther King might not be a good idea. I caught the teacher's meaning; this organization was evidently known by those in the community to be racist and would probably not be that impressed by my admiration of a civil rights movement leader. I refused to pick someone else, and turned in my application. I'll never really know why, but I did not receive the scholarship. It seemed to me like an incredibly small price to pay compared to all those who had given their lives for their belief in equality. I hope we never forget their sacrifice.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaahh a woman after my own heart...sticking to your beliefs even if they won't get you anywhere. BTW you look lovely with your 'belly'

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooops that was me pressing the wrong key

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger jenfromRI said...

Great story. It's impressive that you did that at an age when many people are, well, not quite so principled.

PS - I love the "belly shots" too! Is the big day getting close??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home