Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

No Resolve

I am slowly catching up on blogs, work, and rest just as my break is coming to an end. I've noticed that the annual New Year's posts are full of recaps and reflection on the year, knitting, and how we did on last year's resolutions. Not one to break from tradition, I will try to do the same. This year is rather a mixed bag. For me personally it was one of the best years of my life because my daughter was born. We have settled into our new house and are both relatively happy with our career progress. For the country and much of the world, however, the economic downturn and increased unemployment has made this a very difficult year. We also elected a new president, which was not only historic, but gives many hope that the economy and other things will improve in the coming years. I am choosing to reflect on the positive right now, and enjoy looking back on the lovely memories of watching my daughter grow and change in her first year.

As for knitting, I can't say that it was a stellar year for finished objects. In 2008 I completed 3 hats, a scarf, 2 baby blankets, a baby sweater, a bib, a pair of baby mitts, and a pair of booties. Seeing it listed does make it seem a bit less terrible than I thought, especially when taking into account the fact that RJ really monopolized most of my time this year (and rightfully so).
And then there are my resolutions from last year:

1. organize, organize, organize
I made some progress on this. Organization is an ungoing battle.

2. finish the projects in my sidebar
I didn't do too badly with this resolution. I frogged a couple lingering projects and finally finished others just recently. I also modified my sidebar to better reflect things I'm actively working on. With my mom's help and Theresa's inspiration in sewing her first garment I've also started sewing again, which helped me complete a few more projects.

3. Learn to cable and do colorwork
I didn't really get to this, but sleep deprivation and learning new techniques don't mix. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I get to the more complicated knit stuffs. For now, I am just exploring the amazing array of things that can be done with knit and purl. ;)

How about some resolutions for 2009? With RJ, a big increase in my course load (thanks to the depleted California budget), and the hubby taking some evening classes, I will be as busy as ever this year. I think my knitting resolution this year will be to try to knit a little each day. Even just a row a day will keep me going. To help with that, I will bring a small project to work and have several easy things around the house to work on. My real hope is that knitting each day will help use up some of the stash, so I can make room for more stash of course. I figure it's the least I can do to help reinvigorate the economy. ;)

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

You did have a wonderful year, and I'm so glad you and RJ are doing so well. She is adorable and a perfect knit model. I hope you do find a few minutes a day to knit.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Caroline said...

R.J. was by far the best project you made this year:)

Good luck with your semester. I've noticed a big increase in enrollment with my college courses too. I think particularly with community colleges, enrollment increases as people start fearing for their jobs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home