Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Daydreaming

When I was a kid, probably around 9 or 10 years old, I would go through the Spiegel Catalog page by page, deciding which items I would buy if I were rich. We were what you might describe as "dirt poor" while I was growing up, so this was quite a feat of daydreaming even with Spiegel. You're probably asking yourself, "why Spiegel?" which isn't really known for being a luxury catalog. Living in a rural area before there was the internet (for the youngins out there, yes such a time did exist), Spiegel was the most posh catalog I had access to. It was so much more tony than Sears or JCPenney's. I had not even heard of Saks, Niemans, or Nordstroms, and Macy's was something related to the Thanksgiving Day parade, not a place to shop. Anyway, it turns out that if I had lots of money I would pretty much buy everything in the catalog. Afterall, you just never know when you'll need a juicer or aerobic shoes. Once I eventually did start to earn a bit more money, I did not buy out the Spiegel catalog. Honestly, I'm fairly certain I've never ordered a thing from them. I still do daydream about what I would buy if I were rich, though. I can tell you that my craft closet would have to get a lot bigger to accommodate all the silk, cashmere, and merino wool.

Back in the real world, I am making dishcloths for RJ's teachers. I want to give them each a cloth for Christmas, along with some nice soap. Because she is in the infant/toddler room, she has about 8-9 teachers, so I need to get moving on these. Here is the first one I started, which is now nearly finished. Frustratingly, I ran out of both the red and the ecru yarn. I was able to find more red, but I still need to hunt down some more (Ravelry, here I come!).

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Blogger jenfromRI said...

Ha, I still love looking through catalogs. I think it was mostly LL Bean and Lands End when I was a kid, but now it's Knitpicks, Webs, etc. :)

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which red yarn is that? If it is Bernat Handicrafter Cotton, I can usually find some around here. Let me know if you need any!

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We didn't really get catalogs, but my sister and I used to pick out things we'd like in the weekly circulars for places like Macy's or some jewelry store.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

I did the same thing with the Spiegel catalog! I'd limit myself to one thing or outfit per double page spread. I never ordered from them either.

Great idea for RJ's teachers! I hope you find the ecru yarn.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger JennC said...

I *love* the Spiegel catalogue! "Not POSH" you say - pish tosh!
Also, I have several skeins of kitchen cotton yarn begging to be turned in to dish clothes by someone other than myself, so please come shop my stash if you need more yarn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home