Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Katja for My Princess

I don't suppose it comes as a surprise to those of you who know us that we are spoiling our little girl. We are now suffering the consequences, as we try to train her to sleep in her own bed and not ours starting this week. The result is that none of us are getting much sleep. Before she was born we vowed that our bed would be off-limits. During the first few months she slept in our room, but had her own bed. Once she moved to her crib we were doing just OK with our vow, only bringing her into our bed around 5:00 am or so, just until she woke up for the day. Then I broke my foot, and she has slowly been taking over our bed ever since.

I am also spoiling her in the knits department, but to be entirely truthful baby knits are so much fun that knitting projects for her are just as much for my enjoyment as they are for her. Gauge, what's gauge? As long as it's bigger than she is now, it will fit her someday. Also, a child can wear lots of things that are no-no's for adults. Garishly bright colors? No problem! Slightly see-through? Throw on a onesie and leggings underneath! Baby knits are also a great way to use up small amounts of yarn or have fun with a yarn that would cost too much to buy in a quantity large enough for an adult sweater.

With that in mind, I am currently working on katja from Knitty, Spring 2006. Could I wear a knitted halter? Probably not. But on a tiny little girl, this will look too cute. I started with a small ball of a silk/cotton blend yarn in a lovely mauve/pink color that I Marie passed along to me. I then bought two skeins of Dale of Norway Svale, which is a cotton/silk/rayon blend. It has just a bit of shimmer and the color is a rich, dusty purple. The result so far is this:



I think it looks girly, but not too cutesy. I have enough of the pink to do the bottom band as well. I think the two colors add a bit more interest. I hope to finish this soon so she can wear while we visit my family in Wisconsin in July.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

That will be adorable for RJ! I can see the allure of knitting for babies and children.

Good luck on the bed issue!

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Caroline said...

Katja is a darling pattern, and I love the colors you've chosen. You're so right about baby knits. Another benefit is that babies happily wear what you knit for them..unlike teenagers:(

We "spoiled" our kids too. Both of them slept in our bed pretty much every night until they were two or three, and were regular little visitors after that for quite a while...and almost fifteen years later, they're both extremely independent and well-adjusted kids. Of course, now we have the dogs wanting to climb into bed with us, but they're not as welcome:)

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is freaking adorable! I hope you get RJ into her own bed soon...I know first hand what it is like to be sleep-deprived...

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger theonlysuz said...

How did you solve the size problem? Was the back saggy and too big? I read that someone did a few rows of ribbing just under the triangles to tighten it some and the didn't do the increases, but I like it a little swingy and longer. Others made eyelets and put a ribbon or cord through it. I haven't started the project yet. Have the perfect yarn but a concerned about size. Ok if it's too big but I don't want it to be out of proportion. Some of the other pics of this have huge triangle and some look teeny.

I have a great soft orange cotton /silk yarn and will use US 7 needles and plan to knit the bottom part in the round. I'm not doing multiple colors yet but I can do a little flounce on the bottom. I want to make it long enough to be like a longish top over tights or little jeans, not really a dress. I need to get exact measurements from my daughter (in-law who I love like a daughter) and then make it a little bigger so it will be good for summer. Sophie is 8 months now and 16 lbs.I think. I wish we lived close together.

Sorry about the ramble.

I am a relatively new knitter since the baby was born but did some knitting and needlework when I was a child. It is coming back to me I've made about a dozen things so far.

Any advice about changes in the pattern?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home