Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Friday, March 19, 2010

Birthday Exhaustion

The reason it has take me so long to post is that we have just ended our one month of birthday celebrating at my house. My husband's birthday is February 16th, mine is March 12th, and RJ's is March 13th. It seems like there has been nonstop celebrating and planning since forever, but that's mostly because I planned parties for both my husband and RJ. So, this Saturday was the overblown, kid-centered, party for RJ's second birthday. The theme was "Old MacDonald" so I was generally going for anything farm-related. There was a bounce house (which had palm trees and was not farm-themed, but oh well), rented tables and chairs, animal cupcakes (sheep, cows, pigs, & chicks), and balloons.



I sewed RJ a little shirt out of red gingham and had hairbows made in cow print with a red accents. Here she is modeling the shirt I sewed. Sadly, the hairbows kept falling out in the bounce house. Boy, does that girl love to bounce!


I got flowers at the farmer's market and made flower arrangements in small galvanized pails and watering cans.


I don't want to bore you with photos of everything, but it was pretty much out-of-control crafting. I made bean bags from felt for a bean bag toss (which we never got to, the kids refused to leave the bounce for anything but food). There were goody bags decorated with a hot glue gun, ribbon, and scrapbook paper with horses on it. There was also a pig pinata and tons of food, most made from scratch. We had over 20 kids show up and at least as many parents. Thankfully the work was worth it and it was a big success (according to the guests and the guest of honor), and now I am exhausted. I have done some knitting these past couple weeks whenever I could squeeze it in. I also want to post about an FO I finished over a month ago for which I finally got some modeled photos. More on that next week, after a restful and hopefully uneventful weekend.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those sheep cupcakes! Rio looks very cute in her shirt.
Marie

 
At 6:49 AM, Anonymous Bounce House Rental said...

Did you get a bounce house for your husbands bday party too? Did you try finding a farm related bounce house? There are a bunch of bounce houses that are animals. They are called belly bouncers. My favorite is the tiger, but they have a cow, which is farm related. Also, I celebrate 3 family members birthday in August. It's the 12th, 13th and 16th so I know what you mean about planning a few parties in a row.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Caroline said...

First of all, the little gingham blouse is as cute as cute could be, the cupcakes are darling, and the flowers are beautiful. Here's the other thing. You did all of that while working. It was challenging, I'm sure, to do all of the things that mothers used to do when that was their only job, but to pull together a huge party like that when you're also preparing lectures, grading, etc., it's amazing. R.J. looks like she appreciated it though!

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous jennifer said...

That party looks like so much fun! You made that gingham blouse? It's fantastic- and she looks so cute in it! She's really 2, already? Wow. I remember when you showed the ultrasound photo. p.s. those cupcakes are awesome...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home