Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Katja finished!

Once again I've managed to fall behind in my posting. I've been knitting and obsessing about yarn, but I think it's a reaction to being a bit stressed out and not just for the love of knitting. I have a huge pile of grading that I am making almost no progress on and I am in charge of one of my department's signature events which is happening next Tuesday (yikes!).

Anyway, here is my Katja (ravelry link), which I actually finished knitting in December and did the seaming in January. The pattern is here. I just finally got RJ to pose for some photos:



I used mostly Dale of Norway Svale, a blend of cotton, silk and rayon. It's perfect for a summer top. I liked it even though it was a bit splitty, because it looks just a touch shimmery and luscious when knit. The lighter mauve was a small bit of silk yarn that someone gifted me and I think it adds a bit of interest to the top. I just bought her striped bicycle shorts and flowered leggings that can be worn under, although it looks cute with jeans too.

I found the pattern really easy and cute, and think it fits RJ fairly well. However, in full disclosure I knit the 12 month size for my 2-year-old, which may have alleviated some of the bagginess issues others have had (according to Ravelry notes, anyway). Partly that was a conscious choice based on my daughter's size, and partly it's because I'm a slow knitter (or too busy with other things, probably both). I then added A LOT to the bottom, so it would be more of a tunic top and fit my long, skinny girl. The bottom edge is a bit tight, so next time I will bind off more loosely, or use a stretchy bind-off. I am happy enough with it that I plan to make another, but in a larger size for next year.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

That is very cute, and I love the color. RJ is quite the fashionista!

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Caroline said...

Yep! I do the whole knitting to relieve stress thing too.
RJ is darling, of course. I miss knitting those little items.

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Jennifer said...

She's so cute! I'm planning on coyping you again...finished my Anouk and now have a Katya planned for a friend having a daughter in July. How much length did you add? If I plan on knitting the 12 month size, will it fit at 12 months old?

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Ambaa said...

She's so tall! What an elegant young woman she is growing into.
-Carolyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home