Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Sunday, February 05, 2012

Superbowl Party Refugee?

My husband once again apologized to me on Superbowl Sunday. He does this every year, because he feels that because he's not much of an American football fan (he prefers soccer, and actually calls it football just like the rest of the world) we don't get invited to any Superbowl parties. I nearly always half-forget it even is the Superbowl, and don't give much thought to whether or not I've been invited to a party or not. Thus his apology only serves to remind that I could potentially be missing out on some fun parties and that somehow we are being excluded. He is correct that we have been in California for five Superbowls and have not been invited to one single party. I figure there are several possible explanations: 1. Our friends here really don't care that much about the Superbowl and don't have parties. This is reasonably plausible because I've actually never had a single conversation about football since moving here. When we lived in the midwest football came up more more regularly and we were invited to Superbowl parties. 2. Some of our friends do have Superbowl parties, but they don't think we are interested. I imagine the fact that I've never discussed football would probably support their belief that we don't really care for football. 3. Our friends have lots of parties (Superbowl and otherwise) and don't invite us because they aren't really our friends. This one is silly, because we've been invited to all kinds of other parties, including a deep-fat fryer party (yes, it was as disgustingly yummy as it sounds!). We could solve this issues by actually throwing a Superbowl party ourselves and inviting our friends, but we have a pathetically small television, a fact which I've gathered that sports fans are not fond of, and I'm not willing to buy a gigantic television just to host Superbowl parties. So here we sit, watching by ourselves another year, which isn't all that bad really. For the record, I actually don't mind football, but I'm a Packer fan and I was really disappointed that they lost in the playoffs after such a stellar regular season. And American football goes so slowly that there's lots of time for knitting. Here are the yarns for my latest project, which like football has a gambling aspect to it. More to come soon:

3 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

My husband and I couldn't even remember which weekend was the Superbowl. He is strictly a college fan, even though his alma mater, Illinois, is always terrible at football. And if the Pack isn't in the super bowl, I don't see the point of watching.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Also wanted to comment on the heavy leaning to the purple end of the spectrum on your yarn choices. I wonder who those projects will be for?

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Jennifer said...

I know what that project is! :)

I stayed home and knit through the Superbowl (flipping back around regular TV, only really watching the halftime show and last 10 minutes since our team wasn't playing this year), while Yannick went out with friends. We haven't gone to any SB parties since the kids have been born...well...HE'S gone...but I stay home while the kids sleep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home