Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Monday, June 18, 2007

When Crafting Wasn't Cool

As I've mentioned previous posts, I am addicted to crafting. To say I was a crafter before crafting was cool, would be pretty accurate. Not that I'm trying to brag about my "street cred" as a crafter or anything, I just think this gives you an idea of the magnitude of the problem. As a college freshman, other girls went to the clubs a few nights a week. I completed a needlepoint of a Native American riding a horse in the desert (I picked it up partially finished at Good Will). I even did a term paper on quilting as a social event in the American west. How nerdy is that?

I organized my crafting supplies at the end of last week and realized that once again I needed to purchase more containers to hold it all. I have now hit the limit on what our apartment will credibly hold, without getting rid of some other items, such as clothes and food. Thus, I must craft from the stash or be consumed by the yarn, fabric, paints, embroidery floss, aida cloth, beads, rubber stamps, card stock, etc. (not altogether a terrible way to go though, right?). I could get rid of some of my less-used supplies (really, when was the last time I needed aida cloth?), but I just can't seem to part with them. Ever since I gave away the giant wooden bow, I've been haunted by the idea that I will create the perfect project, or at least it would have been perfect if only I had a wooden bow. I just don't feel I should take any more foolish chances with my craft supplies.

Even with this knowledge, a couple days ago I went to Michael's and bought more yarn to crochet two more baby blankets. A sign of a real addiction? Perhaps, but nevertheless this seemed like a necessary exception. I just found out another friend of mine is having twins! (Perhaps being my friend is akin to some sort of extreme fertility charm? Be warned!). I am using up some yarn I already have, but needed coordinating yarn to have enough and to make the afghans more interesting. It is the age old problem: Using yarn requires buying more yarn. Here is the yarn for blanket 1 (both the dark blue colors are new):


And here is what I got for blanket 2 (the cream and red are new):

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Working in lab for years gave me a latex allergy that made it easy for me to give all my rubber stamping supplies away, otherwise I have a similar problem. So obviously I don't have a solution. I keep thinking that someday I'll get the needlepoint pillow top I started in 1986 finished. You are not alone.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Uh, oh. I don't want THAT particular benefit of being your friend! Some more yarn will be in the mail to your shortly. And I have plenty more of the white laceweight if you run out!

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see that red knitted up. very nice.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger jenfromRI said...

Ooohh, I just got a chill at the thought of getting rid of my scrapbooking paraphernalia. Yes, it's been ages since I've done anything with it, and yes, in the meantime I've taken up knitting and that has pretty much monopolized my crafty time, but I NEED it. I just had a baby. . .um, 14 months ago. But I still need to put her pictures in it!

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love both of those color combos, especially the second set.

It IS funny how yarn begets yarn, isn't it? No sense in trying to fight it -- it's just a natural law of the universe.

If you bought a half-finished needlepoint at Goodwill and finished it, I'd say your crafting cred is unassailable. That's awesome. :)

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger cranberry said...

Sweetie, if you want any of the patterns that I've posted (I have them), shoot me an email at jazzypom@gmail.com and I will email to you, yeah?

;*

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Looks like it's almost time to replace the stuffing of your couch cushions with yarn. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home