Trouble with Trebles

This blog is to keep track of my knitting, other craft projects, and the weird bits of life that don't fit anywhere else.

Monday, March 19, 2007

As Long As It Doesn't Itch

"I base most of my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." - Gilda Radner

A couple weeks ago my local knitting group had a fantastic yarn swap, hosted by the wonderful Anne from Crafty Diversions (she's know as the "crafy McGuyver" in our group). The swap had a Bollywood theme, with appropriate attire encouraged. I completely forgot about the dress-up component, but Ann had a full stock of lovely Saris, etc. for us all to wear. We were a lovely, colorful bunch. The Indian food was also fabulous. Knitters appear to be excellent cooks.

The point of a yarn swap, I am told, is to get rid of yarn for which you have no use and exchange it for yarn that you can use. However, I seem to have missed the memo and came home with much more yarn than I brought. I did donate a bunch of acrylic yarn that seemed unsuitable for baby blankets to Project Linus, and traded a couple ends of some nice stuff for things I found more useable. However, as we got towards the end of the swap I just couldn't resist all those sad little abandoned skeins, left without a home. They looked so unloved. So, I took them in and gave them a new home. Below you can see most of my colorful acquisitions.



I got 2 skeins of yellow cotton ease, 2 balls of pastel hand dyed wool, bright pink Sears brand mohair (any thoughts as to how old that is?), 2 skeins lavender in some soft blend, 1 partial skein of a soft, blue, loopy yarn, and 4 balls of orange cotton. I did pass on some yarns, honest! There were several more colors and brands of mohair that I didn't take, for example. Why is it that people are always trying to get rid of mohair? Maybe people always buy too much, or only realize they are sensitive to it's major fuzziness partway into a project? I am hoping the pink will make a fun lacy shrug, like the Reading In Bed Shrug in the latest Interweave Knits. If not, it will make a repeat appearance at next year's yarn swap. I also took all the blue and purple fun fur that people were giving away, for which I have fun plans. Just a heads up, I will be posting a new FO soon, once I weave in ends and do the seaming!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger Anne said...

yay for lonely balls of abandoned yarns. You could always make a scrap wrap if you don't find a projects from your rescues. that's so monkeysexual!

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is why I know I should steer clear of yarn swaps, as genius as I think they are...I would come home with way, way too much. It sounds like you got some good stuff, though. I think mohair in moderation is a wonderful thing.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lori said...

Great yarn grabs! I think my favorite is the orange cotton. Now you just need to knit more...:)

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

That Cotton Ease is so perfect for SoCal. I'm in love every time I use it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home