"One out of four people in this country are mentally unbalanced. Think of your three closest friends; if they seem OK, then you're the one." - Ann Landers
So it is with much disappointment that I've realized that my friends seem pretty normal. I guess I've always suspected that I might be the weird one, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. Still, it's a tough thing to admit. Anyway, I was tagged so here's my meme.
Six Weird Things About Me:
1. I like to imagine all my major life events with an accompanying musical number. I have the songs all picked out, the costumes designed, and even have worked out some choreography. For example, my dissertation defense was accompanied by the song "I Get Knocked Down" by Chumbawamba. My fellow grad students and I would do a wonderful, raucous dance, jazzy with a bit of hiphop, to show our defiance at actually completing grad school. I would wear a red outfit. During my postdoctoral fellowship, I planned an entire musical review with songs to fit each researcher (Shock the Monkey, Tears of a Clown, etc.). All the costumes would be gold lame, of course. All my breakups were set to "I will Survive" by Gloria Gayner, and again there would be much gold lame.
2. When I was a young girl I wanted to either be the President of the United States, an astronaut, or a go-go girl (I really wanted some white go-go boots).
3. I am abnormally extroverted. Really, I've been diagnosed by clinicians (well, clinical grad students who were my friends anyway). If I had been any good at singing or dancing I probably would have gone into theater to quench my extroversion. Thankfully, I discovered academia.
4. Given a choice, I like most foods hot or warm, not cold. For example, I find cold pizza disgusting. This even affects things that are normally served cold, such as pudding or pasta salads. I prefer them warm and will reheat them if given the opportunity. I also like scalding-hot showers. Perhaps I had trouble staying warm as a child, or I'm a weird, mutant cold-blooded mammal.
5. I easily become obsessed. For example, I became enamored with the idea of camping and read several books on hard-core camping, bought tons of equipment, and planned out complex trips, including meals. I've only been camping three times since then, and it's always been car camping. Then, I got into belly dancing. I bought a hip scarf, took a class, performed for a talent show, and haven't taken a class since. Just be glad I haven't become obsessed with any dangerous hobbies, such as car racing or target shooting.
6. I love electronic gadgets, but I never have the patience to actually figure out how to use them properly. So, I limp them along barely using their features until the next cool thing comes out. Really, I just love shiny new objects. Yes, I'm a magpie (a cold-blooded one, see number 4 above).
There are a lot more weird things about me, but the meme only said six, so you'll have to content yourself with these.